Welcome

Welcome, fellow genealogists! My blog will teach you about U.S. land records and United Kingdom research. My family has roots in Niagara County, New York; Norfolk, England; and northeast Germany.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Two Family Tree Magazines

I wanted to recommend a magazine article about English research, and in the process, I found an interesting coincidence. There are two Family Tree Magazines.

Family Tree Magazine (U.S.) is published seven times per year by F + W Media, Cincinnati, Ohio. I would be lost without this publication. There are interesting articles about all aspects of research, technologies and websites. They are doing a series about the genealogy resources available in major American cities. The format is colorful and modern.
In the issue dated November 2011 is an article, “Plain English”, with all the basics of English genealogy plus a history timeline; map of English county boundaries in 1870; and lists of websites, books and organizations.

Their website, www.familytreemagazine.com, has free forms among its many offerings.  I cannot say enough good things about this magazine!  However, I will mention that with a subscription also comes a weekly enewsletter and yes, some ads for the company’s other offerings (books and webinars) plus other ads for genealogical products and tours. I’ve been with them so long, I have forgotten whether I ‘subscribed’ to the email or not, but the editorial content is worth any annoyance.
When the November issue arrived, I decided to see if I could find it at a local newsstand before recommending it to you so off I went to Barnes and Noble. Family Tree Magazine was there, but I was in for a shock – most of the genealogy magazines they stocked were from the UK. They were not inexpensive, but they were full of fascinating, yet unfamiliar content.   

Family Tree Magazine (U.K.) dubbed the “world’s bestselling British genealogical publication,” was a surprise find. It is published thirteen times per year by abm publishing, ltd. in Lincolnshire.  Their website is www.family-tree.co.uk. Besides general information about subscriptions and newsstands in the UK, there is a family names section, a list of family blogs, a bookshop and forum. There is an index for all the magazine’s issues for its 25 year history.  
Look for more on the other UK genealogical magazines in other posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment